Community Rules & Etiquette and Privacy Guidelines
Thank you for being part of our community. To ensure the best possible experience for all members, we have established some basic guidelines for participation.
Our listservs have been migrated to our C3 platform (C3 = Connect, Communicate, Collaborate), and all prior posting etiquette and rules apply. LERA communities are appropriate for discussion of labor and employment relations issues across the nation and the world. Members may post questions, comments, informational items, and exchanges on theory and practice pertaining to the field of labor and employment relations. The discussion boards may be searched for past postings, articles, and resources. Posts may be made directly from your email account, or from the discussion board.
By joining and using this community, you agree that you have read and will follow these rules and guidelines. You also agree to reserve discussions and shared files and content to that best suited to the medium. This is a great medium with which to solicit the advice of your peers, benefit from their experience, and participate in an ongoing conversation. Questions should be directed to: LERAoffice@illinois.edu.
Please take a moment to acquaint yourself with these important guidelines. If you have questions, contact the member services department. In order to preserve an environment that encourages both civil and fruitful dialogue, we reserve the right to moderate postings, suspend or terminate membership in this community.
- Information posted should be of general interest to LERA members and the field of labor and employment relations. LERA is concerned with aspects of work, workers, labor/unions, collective bargaining, dispute resolution, employment relations, and the employee-employer relationship, and postings should be informational and professional in tone.
- Respect others. Focus on the content of posts and not on the people making them. Please extend the benefit of the doubt to newer guests and members; there’s no such thing as a stupid question. Please be considerate of others in your postings. If you disagree or become upset with someone’s response or use of the list, reply to that person directly when appropriate, and bring it to the attention of LERAoffice@illinois.edu if need be. Please make all efforts to be polite, courteous, cooperative, and collegial so that our cyberspace is a pleasant experience for everyone.
- Respect the purpose of the community. Use the community to share successes, challenges, constructive feedback, questions, and information instead of products or services that you provide. If you’ve found a product or service helpful, please share your experience with the group in a respectful way.
- Use caution when discussing products. Information posted on the discussion groups and in the libraries is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials are strictly prohibited. Do not post anything that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
- Respect intellectual property. Post content that you have personally created or have permission to use and have properly attributed to the content creator.
- When posting items in our collaborative environment, please indicate if the item is not available for reuse. It’s also advisable to contact the owner of any material if you would like to reuse it.
- Post your message or documents only to the most appropriate communities. This helps ensure all messages receive the best response by eliminating "noise."
- Posts may not promote or engage in political activities as it is a violation of our 501c3 status. Violators will be removed.
- This service may not be used for campaign purposes for anyone running for an elected leadership position. Violators will be removed.
- Job announcement or position openings may be posted in a limited by organizational members, though we have a job board that is the most appropriate venue. Submit job announcements to LERAoffice@illinois.edu.
- This is not to be used as a personal blog. There are many free online sites that are designed specifically for posting your thoughts and ideas and offering others the opportunity to follow those postings. This service is intended for distributing topic-related information that the list members as a group might benefit from sharing.
Discussion Group Etiquette
- State concisely and clearly the topic of your comments in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject.
- Send messages such as "thanks for the information" or "me, too" to individuals, not to the entire list. Do this by using the "Reply to Sender" link in every message.
- Do not send administrative messages, such as “remove me from the list,” to the group. Instead, use the web interface to change your settings or to remove yourself from a list. If you are changing email addresses, you do not need to remove yourself from the list and rejoin under your new email address. Simply change your settings.
The Legal Stuff
This site is provided as a service for the members of Labor and Employment Relations Association. Labor and Employment Relations Association is not responsible for the opinions and information posted on this site by others. We disclaim all warranties with regard to information posted on this site, whether posted by Labor and Employment Relations Association or any third party; this disclaimer includes all implied warranties of merchantability and fitness. In no event shall Labor and Employment Relations Association be liable for any special, indirect, or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data, or profits, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted on this site.
Do not post any defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials. Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. By posting material, the posting party warrants and represents that he or she owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner. In addition, the posting party grants Labor and Employment Relations Association and users of this site the nonexclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such information or other material.
Messages should not be posted if they encourage or facilitate members to arrive at any agreement that either expressly or impliedly leads to price fixing, a boycott of another's business, or other conduct intended to illegally restrict free trade. Messages that encourage or facilitate an agreement about the following subjects are inappropriate: prices, discounts, or terms or conditions of sale; salaries; profits, profit margins, or cost data; market shares, sales territories, or markets; allocation of customers or territories; or selection, rejection, or termination of customers or suppliers.
This service is for posting questions, seeking advice, and adding informational items of general interest to a wide-array of practitioners and academics from all perspectives in the field of labor and employment relations. Topics not pertaining to labor and employment relations should not be posted.
Labor and Employment Relations Association does not actively monitor the site for inappropriate postings and does not on its own undertake editorial control of postings. However, in the event that any inappropriate posting is brought to the attention of Labor and Employment Relations Association we will take all appropriate action.
Labor and Employment Relations Association reserves the right to suspend, moderate, or terminate access to any user who does not abide by these guidelines.
Any personal information you provide to us including and similar to your name, address, telephone number and e-mail address will not be released, sold, or rented to any entities or individuals outside of our organization except as noted below.
With Whom Do We Share the Personal Information We Collect Through This Site:
Our Service Providers
We may share your personal information with companies (including our affiliates) that perform services on our behalf, for example, companies that help process credit card payments. Our service providers are required by contract to protect the confidentiality of the personal information we share with them and to use it only to provide specific services on our behalf.
Government and Legal Disclosures
We may disclose the personal information we collect through this Site, when we, in good faith, believe disclosure is appropriate to comply with the law (or a court order or subpoena); to prevent or investigate a possible crime, such as fraud or identity theft; to enforce our Terms and Conditions or other agreements that govern your use of this Site; or to protect the rights, property or safety of our company, our users, or others.
Remember The Risks Whenever You Use The Internet
While we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any information that you transmit to us and you are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of any passwords or other account information. In addition other Internet sites or services that may be accessible through our site have separate data and privacy practices independent of us, and therefore we disclaim any responsibility or liability for their policies or actions. Please contact those vendors and others directly if you have any questions about their privacy policies. For any other information please contact us using the Contact Us page.